6.03.2009

The Blessing of Travel...

Ten years ago...or more....if you asked me where I thought I'd be when I'm 30, I never would have thought here! Well, that's not totally true. Married, with children...yes!!! In Georgia? Getting to stay home? Not sure. However...probably the BIGGEST piece of our lifestyle that I NEVER would have guessed is being the frequent travelling family!

Ever since college, travel has always seemed to bless me. Whether it was through a friend or family relative who had standby or frequent flier passes, my travel habit picked up quite a bit after meeting Syd. We would fly or drive to each other's homes once or twice during holiday or summer breaks. (He lived in MN and I lived in MO) After his sister moved to Denver, we would visit there often. Every summer we would attend the International Barbershop Convention- different city every July! (This year will be my TENTH!) And then, after moving to Denver myself, away from my family- we started acquiring our own frequent flier miles, and getting flights that way! And now that we have standby travel privileges on Delta, here we are!

While preparing for travel really stresses me out (packing for me, Carley and Graham usually) I have tried more and more to look at our travel like the blessing it is. Sure, we are gone quite a bit more than the average family. That's to be expected when your immediate family lives in Denver, Minneapolis, or mid-Missouri. Thank GOODNESS for our flight benefits! On top of this, we like to take a vacation when we can, and have MANY friends who live in other states~ so we are usually going here or there for weddings, babies, or just a good visit! Syd's hobby also takes him ALL OVER the map, and we go along for the show from time to time~ and we ALWAYS go to Internationals over 4th of July.

Traveling on my own can actually be sort of fun. I don't mind waiting at a gate at all, as long as I can find coffee and something good to read. I'd do that all day long by myself! However, throwing kids into the mix makes it very different. A whole new element to travel! Carley and Graham both flew for the first time at 2 months old. Carley has probably been on at least 50 flights, and Graham is on his 10th. I have a lot of experience traveling with young ones. Our most challenging experience has been sitting through EIGHT flights, not getting on, and then finally getting on the ninth one. It was about as stressful as you can get. Luckily, Carley is a huge help and a trooper when it comes to this, and Graham is shaping up to be a nice little traveler as well. As I'm packing for us to go on a trip to Missouri, I thought I'd share some of my favorite travel tips!

1) Try not to stress! Airport travel with kids is not a walk in the park, but try the mind over matter and lots of prayer approach. You can't control everything. Prepare to the best of your ability and then just enjoy the ride the day of travel. Even if it's the pits- it will be over soon, one way or the other! Your children can sense when you are stressed and this gives them anxiety.

2) Pack a good bag! I generally pack two bags now for the airplane. This has changed with each phase we've gone through, but now I pack a decent sized diaper bag and a toy bag for Carley to pull.

Diaper Bag Essentials:

  • Diapers (just enough for a day- don't overdo it- they take up too much room)
  • Wipes- I take a travel pack of baby wipes and a small travel pack of antibacterial wipes- when we get our seats on the airplane I wipe down the back of the seat in front of us and anything else Graham might get his mouth on!
  • Extra outfit- for babies especially! I usually put the extra outfit inside a plastic grocery sack. That way, if Graham gets the outfit he's wearing dirty, I can put the new one on him and put the dirty outfit in the grocery sack and tie it up!
  • Empty bottle- after we get through security I fill it up with water, ready to mix up a bottle for the airplane.
  • Formula
  • Snacks- not too much- dry cereal, gummies, chewing gum and CANDY! Ever since Carley was little, I would bring suckers and smarties on the airplane. That's one of those situations that I don't mind bribery. She hardly eats any candy on the plane now, but as a toddler, that was my ace in the hole to get her to be good!!! :) On a flight- it's worth it! :)
  • Cloth diaper/rag- for spills and spit up
  • If you are taking a child who is potty training and usually wears underwear, you might want to consider letting him/her wear a pull up for the flight. If the air is bumpy, the fasten seatbelt sign might be on most of the flight. :) It's torture to ask a little person to "keep holding it".
  • A light baby blanket or nursing cover if you are nursing or just want to keep the airplane chill off the baby
  • Medicine- baby Tylenol or Motrin, Small bottle of decongestant type medicine (sometimes helps with the descent of the airplane), advil and dramamine for ME! :)
  • I sometimes bring a coloring book and colors.
  • Straws that BEND!!! On the plane, they serve beverages in those small cups with straight straws- bendy straws are GREAT for toddlers! Or...just bring an empty sippy cup for the plane.
  • Empty zip lock or grocery bag for trash
  • Cell phone charger- you never know!
  • Cash- for incidentals, tipping, again...you never know! I always seem to need more cash when traveling.
  • Hand sanitizer (make sure all liquids are 3 oz. or less and in a quart sized zip lock bag for security)
  • The BEST THING EVER for traveling with Carley has been the iPod and headphones. Ever since she became interested in TV shows, we have downloaded Teletubbies, Sesame Street, Mickey Mouse, Little Einsteins and even movies to the iPod and she won't be heard of again during the flight. Whether waiting to board the plane, or on a 4 hour flight, our iPod has saved us again and again! It's a LOT smaller and less bulky than a laptop or dvd player!
  • Store your bag under the seat in front of you for quick access- not in the overhead bin above the seat.

...Yes- that all fits in my bag!

Extra tips:

  • I'm sure I think of more later- but here are some of what I can think of for now!
  • Especially when the kiddos are little, we traveled with them in their footy pajamas a lot. They were simple, they kept them comfortable and they were easy to change.
  • If they are wearing shoes, try to make them slip ons. When you go through security, they will have to take them off and put them back on. Good tip for you too!
  • In every situation where it made sense, I have used a stroller in the airport with the kids. I can't imagine NOT using it. It keeps everyone together and gives the kids a place to sit. You can gate check the stroller and/or baby carrier.
  • Try getting to your gate at least an hour before departure. Flights start boarding 30 minutes before departure.
  • As soon as you get through security, take little ones to the bathroom or change diapers so everyone can be as fresh as possible on the flight.
  • Everyone is always really worried about the little ones' ears. I was too! However, I've always tried to feed/nurse/give a pacifier to the baby during takeoff and landing and they haven't had a fit once. Carley has had one experience, a few months ago, where she was feeling the pressure as we were landing. She took a few drinks from a sippy cup and that helped.
  • Enforce good airplane etiquette, but don't try to do the impossible! Kids are kids! They will laugh, chatter and squeal. So be it! However, seat kicking and yelling make enemies of those around you. Do the best you can to reinforce good social habits and minimize bad ones...but once again...kids are kids! (and if it's not going well....the plane WILL land, eventually. I promise!)

OK! Gotta run! I'm sure I will think of more later! I am so not an expert- but I have done this a time or two. ;)

Happy Travels!

1 comments:

The Knebels said...

Thanks for the tips! I will be flying with Carder in September... I am not looking forward to it!