On Sunday we arrived home after a 10 day trip to Missouri. Syd needed to be gone for 10 days for singing and work, so the kiddos and I decided to head to Missouri to touch base with our family there! As far as Missouri trips go, this was an especially good one in my opinion! Lots of family, lots of friends, lots of fun.... and some relaxation too!
When we arrived, we stayed in Wentzville with Brady and Kate for a few days. Brady is my little brother, for those who don't know, and Kate is my sister in law! They have a cute house that they've owned for around a year now. They also have a dog named Parker- a big yellow lab mix. We had a great hanging out and playing with them, and heading to the St. Louis City Museum on Saturday. My dad also came for this part. The city museum is AMAZING! LOTS of things to explore and climb. I was completely impressed by Carley's sense of adventure and her lack of fear when it came to climbing. At one point we were both climbing through this tunnel...made of open wire....a few stories above the ground. She chose it and I followed her! I was even a little freaked out. She would get scared here and there...but over all she went for it! Wow!
After our adventures at the City Museum, we stayed one more night in Wentzville, then headed to Mexico! My home town! Mexico has changed a lot since I lived there. It still has its small town charm, and businesses come and go. There are some things that are so nice about being back there.
My dad and stepmom, and mom both live in Mexico. My mom's mom and some of her family also live there. We generally stay at my dad's house and then visit with the rest of the family throughout the week. Carley and dad run around during the week and work on outdoor projects, play outside or have mini concerts in the basement where Carley sings and dad plays his drums. (yes....a real, big, wonderful drum set) He's pretty decent on the drums....no joke!
Monday we got to have lunch with mom (at a biker bar! ha!) and Tuesday we spent a little time with my Grandpa. My dad's dad. Those were pretty relaxing days.
Wednesday was a pretty special day. When in MO, we always try to plan some time with my best friend, Emily, and her family. Ada, her little girl, is a few weeks older than Carley. And to add another layer to it, my mom and her mom were best friends growing up. So, Wednesday, my mom, Carley, Graham and I all headed to Columbia to spend the day with Emily, Ada and her mom, Betsy. We had lunch, played with the kids, got ice cream, went to a park, got pedicures and had a sleepover. There is something so special about the time we spend together. Emily and I have known eachother since we were born and the fact that we have baby girls the same age is pretty fun. I hope they grow up being friends too!
Thursday we came back to Mexico and had a super fun night! Three of my best friends- Sara, Sarah and Missy, all came to Mexico for the night for some Mexican food and a mini-reunion! Sarah and I have known eachother since elementary school- and have had years of showchoir together. Sara and I met eachother in college and were roomates for a year or so. Missy and I also met in college. All of us were in the music department in college and in Celebration showchoir! Woohoo! :) Sarah lives in Connecticut and happened to be coming through Mexico the same time we were there- so Sara brough her family from Hannibal, and Missy came from KC- and we had a little rendezvous. It was SUCH a fun time. I love these girls so much. Who knows when we'll get together again...but I'm so glad it worked out while we were there!
Friday we visited with my mom's mom (MawMaw) for a little while and both of my aunt's were there, along with some of my cousins. MawMaw's house is sort of grand central station with visitors- my mom's side of the family is pretty big and spread out so it's so good to see everyone when we can!
Friday night was a pretty fun occasion! Brady and Kate came into town, and my step brother and stepsister and their families came over and we ALL went to dinner! (except for Syd and Marsha's fiance Jeff) Marsha is my step sister- one year younger than me. She's engaged to Jeff. They have two little girls, Dezia (4) and Zaida (1). Mike is my step brother- three years older than me. He's married to Christina and they have Sophia (6 months). We ALL headed back out to our favorite Mexico joint, Dos Arcos, for Mexican food. (yes....the same place I met my friends the night before!) We are rarely ALL together...or even mostly together...so it was an event to behold. :)
Saturday we got up and had a big breakfast- one of the events that's ALWAYS included in a trip back home. I did some packing and took a big nap with the kiddos. We prepared to leave on Sunday. My mom had the second night of her two day 35 year class reunion event. We had fun helping her prepare for that and it sounds like she had fun also!
Sunday- off to the airport! It wasn't the smoothest travel day. I started to lose hope midway through the waiting- but the kids were wonderful travelers that day! I think from start to finish we were there 7 hours or so before we left on a flight. But- the point is- we left on a flight! We got on! We arrived in Atlanta around midnight and Syd was there to pick us up!
This week we've been catching up and unpacking and unwinding. Only a week until our next big trip- but we're excited. Getting ready for the International Barbershop Convention in Anaheim this year- Disneyland included! :) This is a pretty crazy travel month for us- but it slows down a bit after that. Off to do some planning!




1 comments:
looks and sounds like a great vacation. i love the picture of you going down the slide!
Post a Comment