So....it's late. I should be sleeping but I'm blogging because I can't seem to find the time during the day to lock myself in my office and type away without requests for juice, a rear-end check, or a baby boy crying for me to hold him. I have needed to blog for awhile so here goes nothin'! :)
I have a BIG event to blog about- our trip to California last week!
It started with us flying to Colorado. Syd had a show there the Friday night before California, so we all flew to Denver and stayed with Lindsey, Trent, Grant and Bennett. It had been a WHILE since we'd been there, so we were excited to visit! It's so strange, going back. That was our home for 6 years. Where Carley was born. Our first house together. It's bittersweet going back- so beautiful in Denver.
Anyway- the kids had a great visit together. Lots of playing and fun! It didn't seem to last long enough, because before you know it- we're headed to California! We landed in Orange County on Saturday and took the day to get settled in. Went to the grocery store, unpacked at the hotel, spread out and tried to rest. As a side note- both kids were fanTAStic while traveling on this trip. Couldn't have been better! Carley is a big helper and Graham seemed to sleep a lot! Anyway- we tried to go to bed early Saturday night, because Sunday was a BIG day!
Sunday morning - we were up early and had our breakfast and got in line for the shuttle with the rest of the quartet family- we were headed to DISNEYLAND!!! All I can say is that watching Carley's excitement and anticipation was absolutely magical. She knew she was going to meet the princesses that day! The morning was gorgeous and the lines were short. It was fabulous! As we entered the park, Carley starts squealing/screaming every time she sees a Disney character. An experience I'll never forget! I couldn't have been happier right along with her!
The day was fantastic! Carley was tall enough to ride any ride she was interested in. We rode some that ended up being a little too much for a three year old (Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (my favorite!), Roger Rabbit, and Blink's Roller Coaster) but some rides that were perfect- the teacups (Carley called them the spinning coffee cups), It's a Small World, and all of the Bug's Life rides at California Adventure. We visited Minnie's house and Mickey's house. Carley got her face painted like a fairy and then met all of the princesses in person. The HIGHLIGHT of the trip! Jasmine, Ariel, Snow White, Cinderella, Belle and Sleeping Beauty- her favorite! We also saw the Playhouse Disney LIVE show which was super cute. Day one of Disney was really busy but an experience we won't soon forget. We headed back for the afternoon and then rested up for DAY TWO!
Day Two was pretty amazing as well... To the park early again. We headed straight for the Nemo's submarine ride, which was fun. Carley and daddy drove a car at Autopia, then we headed to wait in line to meet Tinkerbelle and one of her friends. After that, we rode the Alice in Wonderland ride, the carousel and the Dumbo ride. Carley was beside herself with excitement!!! After this, we headed to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. Always a good one. We were able to fit in the Innoventions attraction and the "House of the Future" before heading home for lunch and a nap. After a little rest, we headed back that evening to California Adventure. (the sister park right beside Disneyland) We rode the big rafting ride with the whole Drown family while Nana and Papa walked around with Graham. (who hasn't really been mentioned yet. He did a lot of "strolling") After getting wet on THAT ride, Syd headed off to do a few roller coasters with Darin while the rest of us got ready for the Electrical Parade. For me, this was the highlight of the Disney experience. The energy was amazing. The floats were gorgeous. I loved it! (The kids loved it too!) Immediately following the parade, we caught the Disneyland fireworks from a distance and ended our night with the Fantasmic light show. It was an experience I'll never forget- and we STILL didn't get to do or see everything we wanted to at Disney. There's just too much!
**Quick funny- Carley was either making me crazy or cracking me up on this trip. One of the funny things she said that I can remember is ...right before the Electrical Parade we had to make a quick potty run. (for her) She's big into talking to her body (out loud) ...and when I told her I had to use the restroom too, she advised me to pray to God that the pee pee wouldn't come. Dead serious. Good advice :) I am a fan of prayer!
Tuesday began our International Convention week! We actually got to rest a lot and do lots of laundry on Tuesday. My friend, Dana, came with me and the kids to drive to Newport Beach to pick up some Sprinkles cupcakes for the DVD screening party that night. We ate at a cute diner and then picked up the treats and headed back to the hotel. Storm Front, Syd's quartet, just released a DVD and we had a gathering Tuesday night to watch it together (all of the immediate family members and coaches). There was popcorn, movie candy, and lots of fun to be had! The DVD was a hit and so much fun to watch all together. The kids were a hoot and had fun playing together. The Sprinkles cupcakes...wow. They were a hit too! :) Wish I would have taken pictures of them!
Ahhhh..... on to Wednesday!
The first day of competition. The quartet had a great first day of competition. We all felt really good about it and celebrated by taking over the hotel pool. All of the quartet guys and all the kids were in the pool. Mucho fun. One of the best experiences of the week was seeing Carley interact and play with the other kids- Colin, Mary, Simon, Seamus, Julian, Camille, Anabelle, Jadyn, Jennica, and Jarin. A WONDERFUL group of kids and Carley just ran around with them like she was a big kid! I called it her "posse". Jadyn and Jennica were especially nurturing and always asking to play with Carley or hold Graham. They were the "big girls". Amazing- I was so impressed!
Thursday- the second day of competition! The guys did a great job- once again. The Storm Front kids all wore their matching shirts- made by Rhonda! They were super cute! I mostly stayed in the hallway of the Honda Center holding Graham (since they didn't allow strollers and Graham wouldn't let anyone else hold him... ugh.) or in the "Tot room". I would peek my head in the doorway when the guys would sing, but that's about it! Thursday night we ate at Bubba Gump with the chorus fellas. It was fun. My team won the Forrest Gump trivia game. Woohoo! So proud. Later I met some friends at the Cheesecake Factory for drinks and Syd joined us later. Thursday night Lindsey and Trent arrived (left the boys in CO). After a medical issue while flying (yikes!) they arrived in one piece and we all needed some rest!
Friday- chorus competition! Once again- we headed to the Honda Center. Grabbed some lunch and headed to the "Barbertots room". The chorus was really pleased with their performance and got 4th internationally. Woohoo! Syd and his dad got to compete together this year, which was really special. They got a medal together! That afternoon we went over to the headquarters hotel to visit the Storm Front booth and then walked back to the hotel. Friday night we went to dinner as a family at Buca! It was sooooo good. Mmmmmm....Buca.
Saturday- July 4th! Final day of competition! And I want to include here- how GORGEOUS California weather was! I've been to California twice before and I didn't seem to remember how amazing the weather was. No humidity. Sunny and breezy. The nights were especially wonderful. Hmmmm.....
Saturday - I can't remember what we did that morning...if anything. ??? Shauna, Steve, Trent and Lindsey headed out to the Storm Front booth to work all day. I got the kids ready and we met Mitch and Dana and their kids for lunch at Rainforest Cafe. I love that place! After that, Carley, Graham and I all went shopping for our Disney souvenirs at the Disney shop. The kids both got their official mouse ears! :) After our shopping, we went back to the hotel to meet up with everyone, grab some dinner and get ready for Saturday night! Rhonda and I headed over to the convention together, with the kids. We stood outside and watched the fireworks at Angels stadium and then headed in to hear the guys sing. They were great! The crowd loves them and they are so entertaining. They announced the top 5 at the end of the night and Storm Front finished THIRD! Woohoo! It was a good night! I was too exhausted to go out with the quartet afterword, so I crashed with the kids and Syd didn't get home until around 4am. Craziness!
Overall- it was a wonderful trip that I won't soon forget. A bit exhausting...and busy...but wonderful.




2 comments:
Such a great blog ! I know that all your travels make such great memories. I love the pictures :)
looks like you guys had a great vacation. i can't wait to take my kiddos to disney
Post a Comment