8.05.2010

School Days for my little girl...



6:15 a.m. I got up to get myself ready (ish). Graham got up early too. :)


6:30 a.m. I hear Carley's princess alarm clock going off and decide to intercede. I run to her room and snuggle her and tell her it's time to get up. First day of school! She says she's sleepy and asks if I will carry her into our room. The kids always wake up and then come to our bed for chocolate milk and cartoons. I scoop her up, grab her first day of school outfit and take her to our room.


6:45 a.m. Time to start getting dressed! There's a mild wardrobe concern. She is wearing a denim skirt for her first day of school, and trying to fit that on with the required shorts underneath make it a little snug. We review the "sitting in a skirt" procedure and all is well. I have to help her slip her shoes on because she can't bend. I'm questioning my mommy common sense and the logistics of choosing the denim skirt for our first day.



7:00 a.m. Hair in a ponytail and teeth brushed. Chocolate milk served.


7:15 a.m. Running a little later than I had hoped- already. ARgh! Whip up some eggs that the kids can't eat because they are too hot. :( I am so mom of the year right now. Grab the camera and start snapping pictures of my excited kindergarten girl!







7:30 a.m. Out the door. Graham is still in jammies. Coffee to go for mom and dad. Not sure if Carley got to eat anything- or if she even wanted anything. Realizing Carley's backpack is gigantic and hoping the rolling backpacks are ok at school. (confirmed later that this is ok!)

7:40 a.m. Wow, the traffic. Lines of cars heading to the school. Police apparently park at the main intersection and direct traffic before and after school here because it's so bad!


7:45 a.m. Carley and I hop out and head into school while daddy waits outside. Carley rolls her backpack in and then tries putting it on her shoulder while walking down the stairs. She remembers where her classroom is and after a couple of minutes we walk inside. I'm taking pictures the whole time!




We get her backpack in place and she's nervous about sitting at a table and playing blocks with the 4-5 girls who are already there. :( We snap a picture with her teacher (yay!) and then I try to convince her to have a seat and play quietly.





Then I realize...it's time for me to go. I've done my part- probably more than I should- and now she's on her own. She makes it extra tough for me because at this point she's whispering "Mommy...." and making a sad face. This little girl who was invincible and so excited....now so anxious. I put on my excited face and reassure her...give her a kiss, tell her to have fun and that I would be back soon. And then I had to walk out.



I've always wondered what this day would be like. It felt like an eternity away. Now we have a daughter in school- where she will grow and learn and thrive for the next 12 years. Wow. But now I don't have to wonder anymore what it's like- I lived it this morning. A heart full of mixed emotions. So excited for her because I know she will be amazing. So scared and worried and wondering what they are doing every 10 minutes. Wondering if Carley will be exhausted at the end of her 7 hour day. Wondering if she's eating when she should so she doesn't starve the rest of the day. Wondering if when she goes to the bathroom she will be able to get her skirt back down over the darn shorts underneath. :)


I can't WAIT to pick her up and hear all about her day. I hope she remembers everything because I want to hear all about it.

4 comments:

FireFliez on the Lilypad said...

And I was trying so hard not to cry today....LOVE THIS!

mhaskamp said...

OMG - this is the BEST! Hot eggs or no, you are an A+ mom! Can't wait to hear all about this, too!

Angie said...

I completely agree with Amber...and then I remembered the phone call that I got on the girls first day of K - Casey threw up all over herself on the playground because she was in a panic because she couldn't find Chan. So, I would say that if Carley didn't panic to the point of puking...then she had a GREAT day!

Miss Howard said...

She had an awesome first day of school. I am so glad I was able to be a part of this wonderful day!!