8.02.2010

Anacortes Top 10

Two weekends ago, I went along with Syd and his quartet (and Rhonda and Jen-Jen) to Anacortes Washington. What a WELCOME vacation from this GA heat! I decided to compile a Top 10 list for the trip. Here they are..but in no particular order!
(and...I just know I'm going to forget something...I should have done this last week!)
1. The Show I haven't been to an actual Storm Front show in a VERY long time. Getting to watch the guys do what they do, and getting to see hundreds of fans lovin' all over them, shaking hands, asking for autographs, starting conversations, and hurling compliments their way...that was all very humbling. The entire show was great- two great choruses and a Celtic group. The show experience couldn't have been better!

2. The Cars It must be a requirement in Anacortes to drive a cool,old car. :) Several members of the group drove us around (or let US drive) in several fun rides. I have never had an interest in classic cars, but after riding in and driving one...I may be in the market!

3. The Climate Amazing! Cool, crisp, dry, breezy, no bugs. Shorts during the day and jackets and night. It was just what we needed...

4. The Scenery Majestic mountains and hills, the greenest greens and brightest flowers you've ever seen, islands and bold blue waters...
5. The Food *gasp* I'm not a seafood connoisseur, but I do love some fish and crab and clam chowder. I got to take part in eating a crab that had been caught the DAY BEFORE and put on ice, never frozen. That's fresh! The salmon bbq was amazing. The salmon were GIGANTIC! Smoked salmon, fresh clam chowder, halibut tacos...these people know what they are doing! OH! And not to mention the meals hosted for us by the chapter chorus members. Nothing says hospitality better than favorite dishes made in your own kitchen and brought to a brunch (and then lunch) for everyone to share! These people are amazing cooks! Needless to say, we all put on our elastic waist pants for the ride home. :)

6. The Chocolate Yes, chocolate is food too. But THIS chocolate got its own category. Kathryn Taylor Chocolates- a little shop in Eastsound, Orcas Island. I like chocolate, but I don't go crazy for chocolate. This chocolate was very different. Dark chocolate covering the best caramel I've ever had, and topped with sea salt. Changed. My. Life. And Syd had a drink called an "iced chocolate" with chocolate whipped cream on top. They had chocolates infused with lavender- grown on the island. We brought home some Salted Caramel Chocolate sauce. I could go on and on. These chocolates are worth ordering- all the way from Washington to GA. Maybe Santa is reading my blog???



7. The Outings Orcas Island by ferry one day and Deception Pass and Rosario Beach another. The ferry ride was a great experience. Amazing scenery, so gorgeous. Deception Pass is a very tall bridge over some crazy water. We walked the bridge- fun at first, then my step picked up a little toward the end. :) Rosario Beach (or, "flat rock beach") was a fun little surprise. An all-rock beach like I've never seen before! All of the rocks were smooth and gorgeous! We were hunting for "one liner" rocks, and I was busy sticking my feet in the cold water, damaging my fresh pedicure. :) Speaking of pedicure, is a spa treatment considered an outing? The best facial of my life was had at The Majestic Inn and Spa. :) Had to throw that in there.

8. Quartet Bonding Storm Front has been together for awhile. Jenny and Rhonda have always seemed almost like big sisters to me- Syd and I being the "kids" of the quartet. :) During the year I hardly get to talk to them, everyone is so busy. We see eachother at some singing functions and that's about it. It was nice to actually be somewhere where the purpose was to enjoy and relax. No kids. It was a huge bummer that Mary, Jeff's wife, wasn't able to come along this time. Mary and Jeff are the newest of our SF family and we love them dearly- but I was hoping for some Mary bonding time. Perhaps next time?! Jen-Jen, Rhonda and I had some fun times...from singing "What About Love" with the sunroof open or singing some "Rhonda Linstadt" on the beach. These gals have a special place in my heart always!

9. The Glows These people know how to organize a gathering! After the concerts, there would be a HUGE afterglow with lots of food and drink for everyone! My very favorite part was the After-Afterglow (also known as the Glimmer) late Saturday night. Big fire on the beach. Lots of singing. Once in a lifetime experience!

10. The People This would most definitely be number ONE if I were putting these in order. I guess I saved the best for last! First of all, our hosts, John and Kathy Parker are quite fabulous people. Warm, welcoming, thinking of every little thing before we had a chance to... I have officially adopted them as family. I'll be sending them the papers soon! :) The circle of people that hosted us, up front and behind the scenes, were tremendous. They all truly made us feel like it was a special event for us and were so proud to show off their little town. They were so well organized, energetic and positive. So gracious. They made it a big point to make sure the guys invited their wives- which never happens! In Anacortes they have something very special to offer...and I feel blessed to have been a part of this special weekend!

2 comments:

Leslie Thompson said...

Abby, thanks for posting your wonderful commentary on your weekend in Anacortes. It was such a pleasure to have the wives along this year and we truly enjoyed spending time with all of you. Hope to see you in KC next year.

Scott and Leslie Thompson

Unknown said...

I FINALLY got a chance to read your blog, Abby! Thank you so much for putting all of those wonderful memories into words. Anacortes will always have a very special place in my heart! Maybe our dream will come true and we can all buy an island there one day!! :-P I can't wait for our girls weekend! Love ya!