2.06.2009

Big....but not THAT big! :)

Just a quick blog about Carley. I have been meaning to blog about this for a few days and I never find the time to sit down and DO it!

It's funny, when you have a toddler, you keep encouraging them to "be a BIG girl" or "this is what BIG girls do", or "you are SUCH a BIG girl!" Now that she's three, she's definitely a bigger girl than a year ago, but it has happened way too fast. She is completely capable of helping around the house, following directions, and communicating clearly (with lots of personality!) among other things. However, she's almost TOO big for her britches now. She's completely a little "kid" and not a baby anymore. When did this happen?

Her reasoning is amazing. She understands logical consequences. She is a fantastic big sister. Sometimes, though, we find her getting a little TOO big for her britches!

For example, if she thinks I've done something or said something that's out of line, she will raise her eyebrows and get this "parent" look on her face and speak with an adult-like, questioning tone, "Mommy? You know better." She will talk and gesture with her hands to get her point across.

This past Sunday night, it was nice outside so Syd took her out in the front yard to play. She was playing with her golf clubs and soccer ball and riding her new big girl bike. (Complete with a gigantic Hanna Montana bedazzled helmet!) Anyway, in our cul-de-sac there are three kids who are probably 10-12 and then a little four year old boy. They were all out in their yard playing soccer, so Carley asks Syd if she can go see them. She ran over, kicked the ball around with them, and was probably all up in their business for longer than she should have been. They were really sweet and played with her. I think the funniest part is that Carley has no idea there's an age difference! She would come back to the driveway and say "Ok, I'm going back to play with my friends." We would watch her play and interact with the other kids. I just kept thinking to myself "She is so big!" I was impressed and sad at the same time. She's incredibly social and can hold her own with the "big kids". She had herself a complete big girl attitude tantrum when we told her she had to come home when they went to jump on the trampoline. I heard her say to Syd at one point, "SEE?! I'm changing my attitude!" and then flash him a big, angry grin to try to convince him. It broke her heart when we put up a big "You're big, but you're not THAT big" sort of a road block. She didn't understand at all!

As amazingly comfortable as she is with "big kids" she has still only been on the earth three and a half years. I plan on continuing to encourage age appropriate behaviors and friends. It's funny though...we're the ones who have told her she's such a "big girl" now (compared with her previous baby/toddler ways) but now apparently we need to define what that really means!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

she is such a joy to be around. have you had to pull out the "because i said so" reason yet?