2.01.2009

Old Lady

Just some random thoughts on the future that make me feel "old" or "old fashioned" already...

1. Will kids really know how to spell anything when the world of texting and chatting is SUCH a norm? EVERYTHING is abbreviated or misspelled just for fun. I am guilty of a few abbreviations here and there, but it sort of makes me crazy. I feel like its general laziness. UGH!

2. I already find myself watching a show here and there on primetime and catching a foul word or a steamy scene and thinking "WHY is this on TV? Couldn't they have said/shown that in a different way?" I'm SURE our parents and parent's parents probably have seen the same trend in their lifetime. Media is just getting away with more and more... the way things are going there will be NOTHING censored in the future.....

3. The whole cell phone thing again...this argument really makes me feel OLD. I didn't have a cell phone growing up. We had to actually call our friends' home phones and ask their parents to speak with them. No private bedroom phonecalls or sending crazy camera phone pics. If it were ONLY left to me, Carley would get an emergency cell phone when she started driving and the privileges would be added slowly. I'm not sure I know many 12 year olds without a cell phone or an expectation for one. WHAT?! Ugh. Sign of the times. Who knows what we'll end up doing, but for the record...I think it's crazy for young kids to have cell phones. And if Carley and Graham get one...you'd better believe I'll be checking it. Privacy isn't a privilege until you are 18. :)

4. Same sort of idea for laptop/computer use. I can't believe that when my kids get old enough to understand this, that they won't be able to imagine life without the internet. "I remember when we first got the internet..." I start imagining myself telling the story from a rocking chair ... The internet is a good resource, but only if you use it well and with caution. I'm sure in the future (and for a lot of kids now) they'd rather use it as their source for all information and hardly pick up encyclopedias anymore. Wow. Again, computer is a privilege. Pretty sure my children won't have private computers in their rooms. Too scary.



I KNOW there are more examples I've thought of. If you have any good ones, put them in a comment!

2 comments:

Wolfe said...

i agree with ya! my kids will get a cell when driving but with limitations. The computer will be a family computer set up in an area where we can see them and know what they are up to :)

RodriguezBunch said...

Seriously I would be here all day !! But one I have seen often here latley getting new cars handed to you before they even have drivers license.