This week, Syd and I started a diet together. Neither of us are fans of "diets" in general, but Syd had never in his life had to think about what he consumes. I do one diet every year or two, but in general I think they are a temporary fix. Syd had really been talking about wanting to lose some weight before the holidays and I had started approaching a scary place in my weight, so here we are! Dieting together. :)
Syd's goal: Lose 20 pounds and start to think differently about eating habits.
Syd's always been tall and never been overweight. Like most guys who graduate college, settle in to being married, having a job, and routine, he put some pounds on. He could go ALL day basically eating nothing, and then he goes to town on snacking and dinner when he gets home.
My goal: Lose (my first of many) 15 pounds or so to give me a jump start at the rest of the weight I need to lose, and break my addiction to carbs/sweets.
I have actually always struggled with my weight in most respects---at least from late elementary school through high school/college, it was always on my mind. There was one period of time from high school-college where I was my smallest, thanks to my vegetarian phase, a growth spurt and some sit ups. :) I've dabbled with eating disorders in my past. I don't want to be high school skinny again, just healthy...and maybe college or "day I got married" skinny again. :) Someday.
The crazy thing is, even now, being pretty overweight~I've found confidence. Confidence that I've NEVER had before. Maybe it was turning 30, being a mom, having kids. I might be large, but I still think I can look good. :) However- when I strip it down and get real- I have some weight to lose...so why not start now?!
So- We're officially on a diet.
I consulted a doctor in Watkinsville, Ga named Dr. Zengo. He recommended this hcg diet. Basically, take this watered down hormone and eat only 500 calories for approximately one month. I could go in to all of the science (which was explained and we feel very comfortable with it) but I won't! (I think it's on the website- see link above- if you're curious)
We started our diet on Wednesday, eating only LEAN meats, and green vegetables and a couple of fruits. (and restricted portions of each...) The first few days were HORRIBLE but our addictions were revealed to us rather quickly.
I had a harder time in the morning, Syd had a harder time when he got home from work until he went to bed. It felt like we were starving! I was sooooooo exhausted, and pretty grumpy too. The third day was a tiny bit better, and then yesterday and today have been a lot better. It's a HUGE adjustment for your body to go through!
Of course, I've been trying to get creative with our meal allowances. We can have lots of spices, seasonings, mustard, vinegar, hot sauce, picante sauce (with vegetables only). Pretty much any sauces with no sugar. I've been eating lots of mustard with everything. Last night I mixed spicy mustard, hot sauce, soy sauce and vinegar together to make a spicy mustard sauce. I was pretty proud of myself. I dipped a lot of celery in that! We are supposed to also drink lots of water (I'm a little behind on that- but doing better than I do on a daily basis). Diet soda is limited to two a day. We will have one or two just for something "sweet". We have gotten acquainted with Splenda. But the biggest change in just a few days is the eye opening process of what we usually put into our bodies, and WHEN, and HOW MUCH.
What's also a hilarious little indulgence is sugar free gum. We always chew sugar free gum anyway, but the other night when we sat down to watch 24 together (and would usually be having popcorn or something) we went through about a half a pack of sugar free bubble gum! (ok- maybe a whole one) ha ha! Every 10 minutes one of us would be opening a fresh piece. Hey...you do what you gotta do. We were laughing at each other. ha ha!
Last night we went to the bookstore and got these books also- they are fascinating to me!
I am completely confused when it comes to whats good/bad in foods and labeling, etc. I get overwhelmed. These books are simple and give you good exchanges for what we eat anyway. We got the Supermarket and the Cooking one. I think they are amazing!!! Here is a link to the Eat This, Not That site. It will blow your mind!
Anyway- here we go! Wish us luck! I hope to post updates periodically. :)
1.23.2010
You know you're on a diet when...
Posted by Abby at 2:31 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment