That's me. Or...was me, for three years.
I graduated in the spring of 2002 with my degree in Elementary Education, moved to Colorado and started teaching a few weeks after Syd and I got married in the fall of 2002. I took the job of a 5th grade teacher.
My first year was a whirlwind! The kids were AMAZING and the parent support was fantastic. I quickly found that I was the kind of teacher who was very in touch with my students, what was going on in their world and how they, as people, were doing. Maybe I cared a little too much??? My classroom management was o.k. I think I was a good teacher that year, but the school was very different from what I was picturing and some of the curriculum was a challenge to teach. I did the very best I could and absolutely loved my kiddos. I arrived before the rest of the staff on most days and left well after. Fifth graders are a crazy bunch. They are capable of SO much and at the same time are going through some big changes physically and emotionally. I adored those kids.
After my experience at my first job, I took a job teaching 5th grade again (hooray!) in Brighton at Southeast Elementary. The student body was quite a bit more diverse here, and again- I loved my students! Teaching 5 minutes from home also had its perks! The curriculum was a bit more suited to me and the staff support was great. My team teachers, Becky and Stacy (and sometimes Brett!), and I all started the same year at the school and we were a great team. We supported eachother and did everything we could to make learning happen for our students- no matter which class!
I taught at this school for two years and then found out mid-second year that I was pregnant with Carley. Syd and I decided I would stay home with Carley, so here I am! It's a decision I feel SOOOO blessed with. It seems surreal that I have already been OUT of the classroom longer than I was IN it. When Carley was a baby I finished my Masters in Curriculum & Instruction from CU-Boulder. I felt like that way I could still keep the door open in the future for teaching possibilities.
I have very mixed feelings about teaching. There are some things I miss and some things I don't miss.
I DON'T miss: bringing huge bags of papers home EVERY NIGHT to grade from the time I got home until I went to bed, spending more time and energy trying to manage the one or two challenging kids in class instead of dividing my time more equally among the students who want to be there and learn and who know how to be respectful, meetings and meetings and more meetings, standardized testing
I DO MISS: MY STUDENTS!!!!, working one on one with kiddos and making them excited about learning and WATCHING learning happen, the comradery with other teachers
In the past few years I've been taking on a few tutoring jobs here and there. I am now a weekly tutor for two sweet boys who are homeschooled and in fourth grade. I love tutoring- it allows me to still use my teaching chops without all of the "I don't miss" stuff from above but WITH all of the things I DO love about being a teacher.
Last week, I received an email from a student who was in my first class ever. He and his mom were looking for my address and information to send me a graduation announcement. Wow. Amazing. His mom even said he wanted to send an invitation to his favorite teacher- and that you never forget the ones who made a difference. Again, wow. I was humbled and so excited that he would even remember me! Made me think of the "Mrs. Libsack" I used to be! I got another email today from another parent needing information for a graduation announcement. Another kiddo from my very first class. Syd says, "Wow, does that make you feel old?" But I don't really think it does. It seems like just yesterday- I can remember each of those kids the way they were in 5th grade. Personalities, what they looked like, what subjects they were good/bad at. (most of them!) They were all so special, and I am SO proud to get invitations to their graduations.
Who knows what is in store for me? The classroom- maybe... I have thought about being a math resource sort of teacher, or even working on a higher level in curriculum development. In a couple of years when Graham is in school, I really feel confident that I will know what to do. I was so proud to be called "Mrs. Libsack" every day...and so proud of my students, who are now starting to GRADUATE!!!




3 comments:
wow, that is amazing! When you say 2002 i think, that wasn't long ago and then had to think back, its 2010!
that is so neat, ab! gives me goosebumps!! i'm not surprised that you were one of their favorites!
Things like this confirms what we knew all along...that you were making a difference in kids lives. You will continue to touch whoever you come in contact with...whether it is day to day in Carley and Graham's upbringing or whatever you choose to do. Don't ever sell yourself short Ab. You got lots to offer.
Post a Comment