10.01.2008

Music

Music moves me. I don't know how else to explain it. I've always loved music and singing and dancing, but music just moves my soul. It makes me emotional in a way that a lot of things can't. It can change my worst mood, can make me remember moments from the past, makes me think of people I love, and sometimes just make me want to dance...or SING!

Now...it's not all types of music. When I went to college to be a music teacher and was immersed in the music department, I started questioning how much I really loved "music" if I really couldn't stand to learn all of the mechanics and theory behind how to construct music. I had no patience for all of that! It was interesting, but it wasn't the part of music that I loved. I have found that I love the spirit and soul of songs so much more than how they are made. The message. Some songs just make you want to say "YES!" that's what I feel, and that's just the way I would say it/sing it! Do you know what I mean? Sometimes it actually makes me feel very vulnerable, like it's me talking. :)

It's a funny connection when you find music you love that speaks to you. It's like putting a key into the lock- an "aha!" moment! I feel better all over. It's frustrating when music speaks to someone differently than it speaks to you. Sometimes I hear a song and I want to say "LISTEN TO THIS SONG! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??" and the other person looks at me, and politely says, "yeah..that's great!" :) Or Syd does this a lot with his barbershop music to me...he is so excited and says "Listen to this!!!" and I totally don't get it. It makes me feel bad, but I just accept that it just doesn't "click" with everyone in the same way...and that's ok!

I love to sing along (when the song allows), I love to carry my baby around and bounce and sing. I was cleaning this morning and Graham started crying and I picked him up, cuddled him and sang. I felt so close to him. Funny thing is, I wasn't singing "Rock a Bye Baby"...I was singing along to my ipod, which had "With You" by Chris Brown playing. ha ha! (It's on my blog player if you aren't familiar) It was a moment. :) I sang to Carley like this all the time too.

Ok....enough for the "deep thoughts" for the day. I just had to get my thoughts out. Hope you hear a song that moves you today!

2 comments:

Wolfe said...

Its great to have things we love.

Libby said...

I am laughing at the thought of you calling Graham "Boo."
That song, Alisha Keys, and Love the Club totally remind me of you....haha