9.24.2008

Listening to our body...

Quick funny for the day...








Carley has been potty trained, fully, for a few months now. I still expect an accident here or there, but overall- we're potty trained.

Today I picked her up from preschool and as soon as she got in the car she said "Oh! I need to go potty! I need to go back in school and go potty!" (she did this last time too, so a little bit of me thought this was just a pattern...) I responded with "If we hurry home, can we go potty there? Can you hold it?" She said ok.


Well, on the way home she says again, "Mommy, I need to go potty!" So instead of saying "Hold it" (because when we say you need to "hold it" she thinks she needs to actually, physically HOLD it) I said "We need to tell our body to keep the pee pee inside until we get home." We talk a lot about listening to our bodies. So...the whole way home, I was cheerleading for her body to keep the pee pee inside and Carley is yelling, "Body...keep the pee pee in until we get home!!!" or "Pee pee, stay inside until we get home!!!" I was laughing out loud, in between cheering.





It worked! We waited until we got home to potty! It was all mind over matter...at least this time. ha ha!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha. i can picture this!!!
it will really be interesting the next time this situation happens and you're in the mall...or church!

Wolfe said...

ha ha ha! i love it. Go Carly for being able to hold it. i have a similar story but does not end as well. LOL

Anonymous said...

Abby,

First--thanks on the compliments on the photos and just so you know Nolan is back to the pack and play since he had his two month shots. I wanted to play it safe and transition number 2 isnt so easy!

Secondly---I love this story about the potty. Trent did something similar when he was younger and now (embarrasingly) he cheers when he has trouble 'going'

Thirdly---Carley is adorable, so if she doesnt end up marrying Wes and you don't mind her marrying an older man Trent will be available, once he finishes medical school! His plan is to be a pediatrician! :)

Hope you and Graham (and the rest of the fam) are doing great!

Sara