1.05.2009

Where we've been....where we're going...

Hmmmm....where to begin?! I'll try my best to update you on the past few weeks....but there's a lot to remember!

Christmas was wonderful! Syd's parents were here the few days before Christmas and Christmas morning. It was so much fun! Carley and I made Santa's cookies on Christmas Eve and decorated them especially for him. I made a standing rib roast and Yorkshire Pudding for Christmas Eve dinner. The roast (prime rib) was a hit and the Yorkshire pudding went pretty well. It was my first time making it. It's my absolute favorite food- a popover type English dish that my Grandma Sheila used to make with roast. Somehow, mine wasn't as good as I remember hers being, but I chalk my first try up as a success. Christmas morning didn't arrive TOO early- Carley likes her sleep! She came downstairs to find the piano Santa left for her. We got soooo many fun things! Syd got lots of clothes (that he had been needing) and I got a new toaster oven and a fancy new camera! (which may lead to a new obsession) Graham got his first new "night-night", a toy box and some other fun gifts. Carley got a toy piano, a bike, clothes, movies and other nice things.

We played with toys all day and packed for our Missouri trip on Christmas day. Syd and his dad indulged in their power tool and pyromaniac habits by spending most of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day out in the back yard sawing trees and brush down, throwing it in a big pile and trying to burn it. I told Syd he was in big trouble if he burned our house down on Christmas day! :) Carley spent most of the time out with them, supervising. The yard is looking better. Someday it will be clear in the back. Syd is itching to go back out there as soon as possible!

The day after Christmas we drove to Missouri. 12 hours on the road. It wasn't awful, but not super fun. We downloaded a couple of audio books to listen to and downloaded movies to the iPod for Carley to watch. I kept trying to read emails and whatnot on my blackberry...and kept getting nauseous. When will I learn?! Anyway...we got to MO the day after Christmas.

Lots happened in Missouri. We saw lots of family, saw lots of friends. Watched a few bowl games. Celebrated Christmas at least 3 times. Went out for Mexican food. Visited the MU campus and went to the mall in Columbia to spend gift cards. It was a great trip! We don't get back enough! There are SO many little things to blog about, individually, that we did during the trip. I'll try to get to that soon. ?!?!

We broke up the trip back by going as far as Nashville the first night and then coming the rest of the way on the second day. We spent some time with Soren and Vanessa in Nashville. Breaking the trip up was a WONDERFUL plan ...for us and for the kiddos.

Anyway---we've been back two nights now. There are probably a zillion things for me to be doing to get the house back in order after being gone a week and needing to put Christmas away. I got a call this morning from the builder saying he'd like to come out tomorrow morning to analyze our one-year-warranty claims. GREAT! I know he probably doesn't care what shape the house is in when he gets here...but I DO! So...lots to do today! I need to do it anyway. It's good motivation.

This week is very mellow. THANK GOODNESS! Carley's school starts back on Wednesday. Syd is in Canada this weekend. January is pretty mellow all around except for the usual school, dance class, drs appointments and whatnot. Graham is now 4 months old and has his 4 month drs visit in a week or so. I'm anxious to see how he is growing! He has started eating rice cereal now and just had his first taste of something else- SQUASH- last night! Very exciting!

In the next few months....we are preparing for trips to CHINA, the south Caribbean (multiple islands), Miami, and Disneyland (Anaheim)...NOT including Syd's rounds to multiple cities with the quartet. WHOA!!!!! More to come on that! It's very exciting but I have to admit I'm a little anxious at the same time. We have certainly been blessed with travel opportunities...

SHEW! Have I reached my limit yet????? Time to close on this email. That's my rough attempt at catching up. Time to work on organizing the house and getting all cleaned up. My major excitement for the day is that our mail from the entire time we were gone (over a week) will ALL be delivered today. I love mail!

Hope your holidays were magnificent. Here's to a NEW year!

0 comments: