8.10.2008

Girl Time







So, I'm sure most of you are aware that with his job and hobby, Syd travels a bit more than the average husband and daddy. It's just how our family works these days! On top of this, he works every day from early in the morning until late afternoon. We always miss him lots when he's gone, but we know he works very hard at what he does. All of this time spent away means lots of time for Carley and I to spend together...especially since I don't work outside the home. I'm sure if I stopped and calculated it all, we probably haven't spent a whole lot of time apart!






At times, this can lead to frustration. Too much time with anyone can do this! We BOTH need our breaks from time to time... This weekend, for example, Syd has been away since Friday so it's just been the two of us. Carley has been in an especially "directorly" mood all weekend and likes to direct what will happen next and then say "go!" and have it play out in front of her. For example, "Mommy, I am going to wear the mask and say 'Raaarrrr!' and then when I do, you say 'AHHHH!!!', OK?" So, we do this. (My part gets increasingly unenthusiastic after a few times) Immediately after, she just laughs and says, "Ok! Do again???" Over and over and over... She's really into directing scenarios lately and it can certainly be seen as being a little bossy. :) Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it gets old quickly. Or..."Mommy, you sing 'You Are My Sunshine' and then I sing with you. OK?" This really all isn't a big deal until its wrapped up into constant/redundant chatter and my brain needs a break!


Yesterday, we saw the Chick Fil A cow waving outside the Chick Fil A in Athens as we were coming home from some errands. I had already decided we'd just wait to get home and have lunch, but after she saw the cow, that's ALL I heard on the way home. "I want to see the cow dancing..." I didn't even sugar coat it like usual and say "Cow went night night" or anything like this ...just "Maybe next time. We have to get home to make lunch" And on and on. "I want to see the cow dancing," I'd hear her whisper, over and over. I was almost cross-eyed by the time we got home.






Honestly though, the frustrating part is really rare for as much time as we spend together. For the most part, she's seriously my little side kick. (She's only TWO!) We plan events for the week that sound fun like going swimming, going to the park, going to the library or going to a movie at the mall. We sing and dance and act silly together. We go out for a special lunch date together. We do some learning or painting together. I get SO much joy out of seeing her have fun! All parents know what this feels like. It's also nice because with Carley, I don't really feel like I'm "taking my kid" somewhere. She gets excited about a lot of the same things that I do (and vice versa) so we really just get to have a lot of fun all the time! I don't worry about having to change her pants in public since she's potty trained, and I don't have to worry about her throwing crazy embarrassing tantrums. She talks very clearly and expressively so we actually hold little conversations. She's really pretty easy going most of the time. Last night we took a bubble bath and did our nails and watched the Olympics. Then we had a slumber party together since it was just us. During the week, daddy reads to her every night and then I snuggle with her and we say our prayers and talk about our days. These are all very special times. I am so blessed to be able to spend so much time with her because it's time we will NEVER get back. She amazes me every day.



Having a daughter is a pretty special thing. We are fortunate that we will get to know what it's like to have a little girl and a little boy soon. Our family dynamic is about to change, but I will do my best to ALWAYS make time for our "girl time."

2 comments:

Libby said...

corrections....she's THREE!!! going on 30...haha....
ps- you sooooo should have stopped at Chikfila and tried that new sauce...mmmmmmmmm YUM-O!

Wolfe said...

that is so sweet! My hubby is home all days but one a week. He works in the resturant business so his schedule is crazy. there are times the kids don't see him for days and i want to pull my hair out. It gets hard sometimes being that parent with them all the time. But, it is so rewarding too. i would not trade it. I love being here with them, even with the little fights between the of them :)