8.30.2008

M-I-Z-Z-O-U!




College football starts for me today. The Missouri Tigers will play Illinois tonight in a pretty big season opener. The Tigers are actually ranked anywhere from #4-7 going into the season this year. WOW!!! Not sure I ever thought I'd see that! A few years ago, I actually didn't like or care about football, but my husband helped me change that. (thanks honey!) Now it's probably my favorite sport to watch. With my new (ish) love for football and my favorite team playing tonight, I'm pretty excited!


MU, the Tigers, Columbia, the fight song, the Golden Girls...it's all a little nostalgic for me. My dad has been working for the University longer than I've been alive. He's pretty much been in the same department (telecommunications) and has worked his way up. I'm so proud of him and impressed at all of the telecommunications stuff he knows. It's pretty cool! Anyway, since I was tiny MU has been a way of life for us. I remember being really little and going to a few basketball games at the Hearnes Center. I remember my dad taking me to the "Cat Classic" gymnastics meet a few times. I remember wanting to be a Golden Girl when I grew up. (for those who aren't familiar, it has nothing to do with old ladies and a lot to do with gold sparkles!) I especially remember always going to the MU Homecoming parade.


The homecoming parade is a phenomenon to me. It's the longest parade I've ever been to in my life, FULL of bands and floats from all over the state. The fraternities and sororities put together these gigantic floats with displays of Truman the Tiger beating up on whoever the poor mascot for the other team is. It's usually mid-October in Missouri, so we put on big sweatshirts for the cool morning weather, leave the house early and get breakfast on the way or when we're there. We would always get a steamy hot chocolate. I remember standing or sitting at lots of different places along the parade route, including in front of the big clock tower. (the union?) I'm not sure how many years we went, but I know that until I graduated high school, I went more years than I didn't. I have SOOOOOO many fun memories from the homecoming parade and two years ago, I got to take Carley to her first homecoming parade. She was 1, and we met her best friend Ada there with Emily and Eric and her mawmaw Betsy. My dad took us, and Brady and his girlfriend (future wife!) Kate went too. It was just like I remembered and the little ones had so much fun! We've decided we're going to try to go to the MU homecoming parade every other year, so this October we're headed there again!!! This is one of my absolute favorite memories that I get to share with my family and I am more than thrilled to keep it going!


Not really sure why I didn't go to the University of Missouri for college. At the time, I wanted to be in a music program that was less opera, more showchoir (jazz hands!), and Northwest Missouri State had that. I also felt like since I was SO familiar with Columbia and the University, I wanted something a little unfamiliar and new. So I went to Maryville... I'm glad I did, ultimately, since I met my husband there and had a great experience. I guess I always wonder though what it would have been like to have gone and been a part of the BIG MU experience.


MU is just in my blood. It's seriously been a part of my family since I've been around. I am definitely a fan of MU sports, but it's much more than that. No matter how they're doing during a season or what their record is, my loyalty doesn't waver. I can be disappointed like any fan, but I will never disown. They are family!


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

it makes me happy that you enjoyed those moments the same way i did.
i hope we have many more.