8.11.2008

Twilight Zone

(Cue the creepy music... ha ha!)

I must explain...there is a time of night/morning that I call the Twilight Zone. It may be completely out of context or whatever because I don't remember anything about the show except for the music, but it's just what I call it! Last night, into this morning, I experienced some Twilight Zone. Obviously I haven't been sleeping really well lately, but it hasn't been horrible by any means. Between laying in bed awake, not able to go to sleep despite all my best efforts, and escorting Carley back to her bed and spending time with her there to get her back to sleep, I was probably up from about 1am until 4:30am or so. What a weird time of night...

I lay there thinking the weirdest things and my brain JUST won't stop! I start thinking good things, bad things, "what ifs", and listing things to do. I pray. I close my eyes and try super hard to find sleep, but for some reason sleep isn't finding me. I get up to go in and look at Carley sleeping, I get a drink of water. I go to the bathroom a lot. I listen to Syd sleeping. Koby stirring...with his plastic satellite dish scraping the laundry room floor.

Can you relate to having these experiences every once in awhile? This time of night is so strange and still. AND if you have to be up by a certain time of morning, you KNOW it's coming and you still aren't asleep! We usually don't have to be up at a particular time (lucky!) but this morning I got up at 6:30am to get ready for a dentist appt. So...at 2, 3, 4am...I knew it was coming and that I would be TIRED! Super lucky for me, I got to lay down with Carley and get a quick nap this afternoon.

Maybe this is my training for the unpredictable nights ahead. :) The first couple of weeks with a newborn sort of blend the night/day hours all together. Then, throw in the 3 year old who occasionally wakes up at night and likes to slip into mommy and daddy's bed and we have an extra challenge. I'm actually not too worried because I know it will all work out and we will eventually get the sleep we need. I'm not, however, looking forward to all of the Twilight Zone times. The eery, still, quiet times when you can hardly keep your eyes open...but you also can't sleep and you think the sun will never come. My mind gets too active at these times and they aren't really peaceful for me. I'd really rather just sleep through the Twilight Zone times!

4 comments:

Libby said...

I do that, but I get up and clean or get on the computer :) ha ha...sorry to hear that you aren't sleeping well. I think its one of those things that once you are a Mom you don't sleep as soundly before your pre- Mom days. I swear I haven't had a good nights sleep since 2004!

Sarah said...

I remember those sleepless nights a few weeks before Emma was born. And I remember thinking that it was indeed, really good training for the sleeplessness that was to come. : ) You'll make it Mama!!

The Dennisons said...

I'm with the other sarah. good practice for newborn times. if i had not had to pee every 30 minutes who knows how i'd function now.

Alana said...

Oh my gosh - I have the WORST thoughts. Some I am embarrassed to even say. :-) Glad I'm not alone.